Dragons Roleplaying Forum
Hello! I greet all you guests warmly. Don't be scared, we won't bite! Us roleplayers are very active and have some experience. Our moderators and admins are always eager to help! We often hang out in the chatbox. So go on ahead, and join us today!

Character Creation Feedback Dragon10

Join the forum, it's quick and easy

Hello! I greet all you guests warmly. Don't be scared, we won't bite! Us roleplayers are very active and have some experience. Our moderators and admins are always eager to help! We often hang out in the chatbox. So go on ahead, and join us today!

Character Creation Feedback Dragon10
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

I forgot my password

Quick Links

Site Rules

Contact Staff

Celestia: astral@rpgdragons.com Baldirak: baldirak@rpgdragons.com

Latest topics
» Memories Frozen in Monochrome [Tenebris]
by Discord Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:44 am

» Awakening
by Baldirak Sapiens Draco Thu Feb 15, 2024 9:33 am

» Time To Rebuild (Open/Twilight Imperium.)
by Baldirak Sapiens Draco Wed Nov 01, 2023 11:02 am

» Red Death bio
by king dino Sat Oct 28, 2023 5:12 pm

» My reasoning
by Taramafor Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:54 pm

» Harsh reality
by Taramafor Mon Jul 03, 2023 7:41 pm

» WIP Character Leveling
by Astral Mon Jun 19, 2023 7:10 pm

» Goodbye, DRF
by Attor Fri Jun 09, 2023 9:17 pm

» Garden of Shadows [Tenebris, Sting, + family]
by Cyclone and Typhoon Tue Jun 06, 2023 1:55 pm

» The Sunset's Shadow
by Attor Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:54 pm

» Where Blood Don't Run (Incus/Tenebris)
by Incus Fri Jun 02, 2023 2:19 pm

» When Kryo Goes to War (Read Only)
by Svadilfare Fri May 12, 2023 2:37 pm

» Skycrossed Meeting (Lilith)
by Wake Mon May 08, 2023 7:16 pm

» Pinkshade Reunion [OPEN TO ALL]
by Attor Mon May 08, 2023 12:37 am

» A Fistful of Temptation [Tenebris]
by Tenebris Sat May 06, 2023 1:44 pm

» In Shadows [Searching for the Kakos Gem]
by Soshi Sat May 06, 2023 11:43 am

» A New Winter Forward (Icewing Lore)
by Snowblaze Fri May 05, 2023 1:51 pm

» Major Ability for Volter: Pherokinesis
by Baldirak Sapiens Draco Thu May 04, 2023 3:39 pm

» Styrkur, Reborn From Ice
by Baldirak Sapiens Draco Thu May 04, 2023 9:34 am

» Dolus
by Baldirak Sapiens Draco Thu May 04, 2023 9:31 am

» Volter the Tattler
by Baldirak Sapiens Draco Thu May 04, 2023 9:30 am

» Belladonna the Flos
by Baldirak Sapiens Draco Thu May 04, 2023 9:26 am

» Totally Normal Humans (Paradox)
by Soshi Wed May 03, 2023 1:27 pm

» Searching and Planning (Open, Humans)
by Soshi Tue May 02, 2023 6:03 pm

» Let There Be Pancakes (Read Only)
by Kelarth Mon May 01, 2023 8:06 pm

Top posting users this month
No user

Who is online?
In total there are 6 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 6 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 315 on Mon Nov 04, 2019 1:22 pm
Affiliates

Our Buttons:

Our Affiliates:

Character Creation Feedback

5 posters

Go down

Character Creation Feedback Empty Character Creation Feedback

Post by Vesanus Sat Jun 25, 2016 12:19 pm

Hello Everyone

I enjoy role playing on these forums, and admire the work it takes to keep them up and running as well as moderated to a professional level. I know i'm just a semi-active member but I feel as though I would like to express some of my feedback in regards to the lore and the general information when it comes to creating characters.

First of all, in regards to the personal background of my character, I feel as though I am limited on information. There seems to be no lore for nightwings set in stone beyond a certain point, and all information I did receive was from Tenebris. Is there  a place on the forums where there is some detailed info that I can use to develop my characters background. In addition to this is there anywhere that describes the world in depth so that I can further develop my character accordingly?

Finally, when it comes to general character creation information I find this area very lacking. The basic guide for Nightwings reads as follows:

"NightWings are feared by the other dragons, and with reasons. Despite being relatively small, ranging from 20 to 80 feet, with their use of the shadows to attack where no one suspects them makes them dangerous. Living in treacherous swamps, the NightWings owe the safety of their territory to their cunning. They can breath a gas that puts opponents to sleep."

One of my friends recently had a comment on their application asking them to state their flight speed and heat/range of their breath. I find this unfair and rather difficult to do considering ... well the fact that the information simply isnt there to do so ... (Although I haven't checked the info of other tribes in honesty).

I do enjoy roleplaying on the topics that my friends are in, and as I said I do admire the site and the general running of such, I just feel as though these areas could be improved both for existing character development, as well as to aid any new
members.
Vesanus
Vesanus
NightWing Enforcer
NightWing Enforcer

Male Libra Pig

Back to top Go down

Character Creation Feedback Empty Re: Character Creation Feedback

Post by Atronax Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:27 pm

I concur!

And this problem isn't just limited to information about Nightwings. This site is severely lacking in information about ALL dragon species and their abilities! The application process for new members is absolutely dastardly.

We're expected to instantly know everything there is to know about dragons -according to this websites warped knowledge of what dragons are- and make an application with such stupidly specific information like miles per hour on how fast our dragons can go and "How hot is your dragons flame".

Are you kidding me?! And the staff that you're trusting to keep your applications in check are prepubescent teenagers. And no, that is not just a snide dig at age, that is a valid observation of not only mental but physical immaturity and therefore instant lack of qualification for this sort of responsibility.

Vesanus has been very nice about expressing his concerns. I for one am not so nice because at the end of the day.. This crap needs to be pointed out.
Atronax
Atronax

Male Cancer Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Oculus Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:48 pm

Atronax wrote:I concur!

And this problem isn't just limited to information about Nightwings. This site is severely lacking in information about ALL dragon species and their abilities! The application process for new members is absolutely dastardly.

We're expected to instantly know everything there is to know about dragons -according to this websites warped knowledge of what dragons are- and make an application with such stupidly specific information like miles per hour on how fast our dragons can go and "How hot is your dragons flame".

Are you kidding me?! And the staff that you're trusting to keep your applications in check are prepubescent teenagers. And no, that is not just a snide dig at age, that is a valid observation of not only mental but physical immaturity and therefore instant lack of qualification for this sort of responsibility.

Vesanus has been very nice about expressing his concerns. I for one am not so nice because at the end of the day.. This crap needs to be pointed out.

Ok, I was going to wait for an admin to come and check this out, but this is too far. Some of our minors are more mature than the adults on this site. I don't care how you feel about minors being staff. They made the application to join, they went under scrutiny, and they passed. What you say about all minors being immature is very immature of you yourself. This is very offensive, and will be flagged for admins to be seen. Don't be posting offensive material in cbox or on the forum. If you have an issue, PM a staff member.
Oculus
Oculus
NightWing Leader
NightWing Leader

Male Aries Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Atronax Sat Jun 25, 2016 2:55 pm

I personally don't think I've said anything at all that could be considered offensive unless you believe that I may actually have a point.

It's also very interesting that you have failed to concentrate on any of my other points and the post before mine about the sad state of affairs with how the application process is handled. And if you're going to sit there and say I'm immature for calling others immature then quite frankly, you've just used the equivelant of the schoolyard
"I know you are but what am I?" and therefore I don't think I can take anything further that you say seriously.

Unless you can actually sit and swallow the big pill that is your website is dysfunctional. And I'm clearly not the only one who thinks so.
Atronax
Atronax

Male Cancer Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Arkhor Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:39 pm

Alright before this gets out of hand first of all, Atronax you would be surprised but most of the staff are 18+ yes there are a few who are under but they where chosen over what they could provide to the site not because of their age. So calling the staff 'prepubescent teenagers' along with offensive comments about lack of qualifications is being in the wrong, so being pretty blunt here but before you offend my staff colleagues do some research. I respect your trying to put your point across but there's no need for that along with your follow up post just offending Occy.

Also just saying you havn't really been here that long plus I havn't even seen you before from what I recall. So if you want to be offensive to others then I'm afraid you won't last here very long.

Finally yes the terms of how hot a flame can be and etc.. it does need to be looked at and yeah the creation approvals can be strict, yet we have these restricts in place because if there wasn't everyone would either be OP and not fitting with the lore. Of course the lore needs improving. it will always need improving most of the staff here help in their free time, where not getting paid to do this XD so just remember the site is to have fun and talk in a community of dragons.
Arkhor
Arkhor
God of Life and Seas
God of Life and Seas

Male Leo Rooster

Back to top Go down

Post by Ignatius Sikum Sat Jun 25, 2016 3:45 pm

Hello there~! I'm Tempy, one of the staffies on this site. I wish we could have met through RP instead of seeing the grouchy side of me straight away Sad

Firstly, I would like to apologise for the apparent lack of information. It was half deliberate that we had done this, so that you could try and put down whatever you wanted to have in your character and then we could tell what you needed to change for it to work. However, I can understand that it is sometimes rather frustrating that there 'isn't enough information' about all the tribes. As for the first thing that you pointed out Venasus, that was for the NightWings. Not the FireWings which she was trying to pull her information from. The new members guide is mainly to show people what the different tribes of dragons are, their sizes and what their strengths are.

As for places for you to develop your character, that is called the 'history' section of your application for your character. This is where your backstory for your character goes so that it's an established character. From there, join RPs and go and develop that character, make their personalities change, make them interact with others, that's where the fun really is.

The reason there's 'not much' in the regards of explaining every tiny little detail about lore and such is because we wanted to give you some of the change to be imaginative-write down what you wanted. Let your character have its own uniqueness.

Sigh, now...

Atronax wrote:We're expected to instantly know everything there is to know about dragons -according to this websites warped knowledge of what dragons are- and make an application with such stupidly specific information like miles per hour on how fast our dragons can go and "How hot is your dragons flame".

Alright, every dragon that I have been looking through must state this, including flame temperatures... So Oculus had the right to ask this. Why? Because some FireWings have other strengths and they aren't entirely devoted to their flames. Also, there is a basic guide outlying how to make a character app...
I fail to see how our understanding is warped? We need to know how fast dragons are to know if dragon a outspeeds dragon b? Or you'll rob the SkyWings of their advantage.

Atronax wrote:Are you kidding me?! And the staff that you're trusting to keep your applications in check are prepubescent teenagers. And no, that is not just a snide dig at age, that is a valid observation of not only mental but physical immaturity and therefore instant lack of qualification for this sort of responsibility.

Firstly, as Oculus has said... Our minor staff members are quite mature. They went through the same testing that every other staff member had to go through to get the position. I'd even had to say they went through more due to their young age. That give you absolutely no right to say something like this, so you need to apologise Atronax. You were extremely offensive to the younger staff members, which are actually very capable for the job. If they weren't, they wouldn't have been accepted.

I'm going to just tell you right now that Oculus is not a minor, so I would like you to apologise for insinuating that he was this as well. This is something that is not acceptable on this site and if you have a problem, take it to the person in pm or a staff member in pm as well. And no, I'm not a minor either, just before you think that. I also want you to look at the site rules, just to make sure that you aren't actually allowed to discriminate, which is what you are doing to our minor staff members. http://www.rpgdragons.org/t9-site-rules-v3-0

Also, refrain from the crude language. There's no need for it and it will just aggravate people further.

I'm sorry that you think that this site is dysfunctional, but we are always looking to improve the site and make it better for our members. Thank you for putting in your contribution, however, you need to take it to a staff member next time instead and you need to not insult the other staff member. You also have apologies to get to as well. And I expect them done for both Oculus and our minor staff members.
Ignatius Sikum
Ignatius Sikum
FireWing Guardian
FireWing Guardian

Male Posts : 541

Back to top Go down

Post by Atronax Sun Jun 26, 2016 6:48 am

Okay...

I've had a night to sleep and think about things and you're right, I crossed a line and for that I am sorry. I apologise sincerely to Areo and Oculus for my harsh comments.

I do also feel I need to offer a little explanation for such an outburst. Please understand that what I'm about to say is not in any sense of the word an excuse or a plea for pity, it's simply some insight as to why I threw such a wobbly and that I'm usually not such a horrible person.

So you see, before writing this post I found out that in another Roleplay community that I'm involved with (SWTOR to be precise), someone that I knew there unfortunately passed away in real life. I didn't know this person extremely well beyond her online persona and I didn't think it would have much of an effect of my besides an initial swell of sadness.

Well I suppose grief effects everyone in weird and stupid ways because by my reactions on this post, it seems I was taking out some buried feelings on people that didn't deserve it.

So once again, I offer my sincerest apologies for any offense I caused and again, this is not at all an excuse. I just want to show that this is not how I usually act online or in real life.

I understand if you think I'm just trying to get sympathy and you're perfectly within your right to think that but I have explained my actions and I have made my apologies.
Atronax
Atronax

Male Cancer Dog

Back to top Go down

Post by Vesanus Sun Jun 26, 2016 9:41 am

Hello Tempest, Arkhor, Oculus!

First of all thanks for replying to the post and providing some answers.

I understand that it takes time to organise/create lore, especially when there's a number of areas to cover and obviously people have their real life commitments.

Thank you for the answers Tempest, In regards to the breath I know that this is part of the fire wing tribe info, which I did state I hadn't read. The concern was mainly aimed at the specifics required such as speed etc. I understand that this gives more diversity in characters, but a guideline could come in handy to aid with character sheet approval speed. I also understand that you need to ensure that the characters are monitored to ensure that their not OP, but giving a range for average dragons for each tribe might be a suggestion?

For example, adding a flight speed range for the average dragon would allow new members to understand what is then above average and below average to stay within the parameters of their tribe.

As far as background goes, I know where it was supposed to go. The problem I had was what to include. This was mainly the inclusion of humans, as well as the world in general. I could be wrong so please excuse me if I am, but I couldn't find much lore on Humans, so I had to assume the weapons they use and their fighting style
when hunting dragons etc.

As far as development goes, of course character development is built through RP and the like, but in order to RP my character I like to have an understanding of their background. Where where they born, what was life like in their youth, how they got to where they are today etc etc. This is all key to reasons behind how they act in the modern day and indeed potentially in the future.

Again thank you for replying to my Feedback, and I do understand the limitations and the OOC issues behind not having too much lore, as well as the IC reasons of needing to have certain information. I just feel as though if these areas were worked on over time you could improve the character creation as well as the genral RP overall.

Thanks

Vesanus Smile
Vesanus
Vesanus
NightWing Enforcer
NightWing Enforcer

Male Libra Pig

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down